Monday, June 15, 2009

Is the Proton Exora worth it?

Proton's new MPV has everyone lining up to...bail them out?

I know I am side tracking from my usual topics but I just can't get the idea why Malaysians are so exalted over Proton's new MPV the Exora.

Proton Exora

Read blogger Azwan's gushing review of Proton's new kid on the block


Read blogger Paul Tan's unbiased test drive review


I know looks are subjective, but does the Exora look better than the Grand Livina or the ubiquitous Avanza? The Exora does seem to have the edge in features (read Azwan's review) over both the Avanza and the Livina, but then looks and features aside.... the price!


Look who's leading??

The Exora is RM70k. I mean this Malaysian MPV is RM70k! I don't know about you guys but I don't mind plonking for a Nissan or a Toyota for that amount of money... but for a Proton quality car/mpv? You must be joking!

For RM70k or the equivalent you could buy the Toyota Prius Hybrid in Japan!

And don't get me started on what you can buy with RM70k in the US or the UK!

From the price list the nett selling price is stated as RM68,784.50 including tax.
So how much did the total tax (excise/sales/whatever) come up to?
If my reckoning is correct I think Proton would still make a profit if it sold the Exora at RM40k!

So why are we paying RM70k? Is this another case of getting the public to bail-out Proton?

And don't get me started on how Proton managed to launch this car from development in only 2 years! (My God, what kind of research did they do - or was there any??)

Anyway to those whom have already bought the Exora, this country (or is it Proton) is indebted to you!

Proton's profits up due to Exora and Persona (Thank you, suckers!)

Latest: Proton Exora - the good, the bad and the ugly



No comments: