Sunday, December 30, 2007

How (Dis)honest Is Our Government II

Non-Malays are just not interested in government jobs - Public Services DG, 25th Dec 2007

The DG said the Government had never condoned sympathy or discrimination when hiring new staff, including those at the Diplomatic and Administration level.

Here is a second response from a non-Malay in The Star, 28 Dec 2007:


I REFER to “Samy to query PSD chief over report” (The Star, Dec 27) where Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu questioned promotion opportunities for non-Malays in the civil service.

I am a Malaysian Indian and I have been working with a ministry as an assistant engineer for the past five years. I graduated with a degree in Civil Engineering with honours from Universiti Teknologi Malaysia two years ago.

I have applied for promotion to an engineer (J41) every year since graduating. The PSD hasn’t called me even once for an interview.

It never made sense to me why the PSD preferred fresh graduates when there are graduate assistant engineers waiting to be promoted.

I was voted Best Employee in 2005 with the ministry that I am now with. Even the Board of Engineers Malaysia and Institute of Engineers Malaysia have certified me as a qualified engineer. So there is no reason to turn down my application.

I look forward to the MIC president, looking into this matter as well.

MR K.
Kuala Lumpur.


No comments: